Sunday, March 18, 2007

running with tunes: part deux

So, Im not sure if I should feel like a bloody hypocrite or not, but I ran with music yesterday for the first time in months. I had been on an anti tunes tirade for those months, claiming that running with music would make any runner's run that much harder, because it would put their breathing and heart rate out of whack.

I wish to issue an apology to the runners who have had success with this method, as I now enjoy running more with tunes once again.

When I first started, I had no idea how to pace myself, I had no earthly clue how to listen to a song with a fast tempo and still run at a pace that was slower than the BPM (beats per minute). What i didn't realize was that after running for a long enough time, most any runner gets to know his or her self on such a level that allows them to 'feel' their own pace, regardless of music.

I decided that the only obstacle I have in running success is 100% mental. I get bored being by myself and seeing the same old things run after run after run. My body (legs, heart, and lungs) is so strong, yet my mind remains weak during most runs. So, this means when I start to get tired up a hill, I've lost the battle many times before my run even reaches halfway.

Listening to music can allow the runner to (pardon the expression) "tune" out these thoughts, or even some discomfort. I wonder if part of this is at least partially scientific. Is there a neurological/psychological basis or foundation here? Farbeit for me to suppose I have any information on the issue, but it would seem to me that if the nerves send impulses to the brain when pain arrives, and the brain is preoccupied with music, that perhaps the brain ignores the pain to some extent, allowing the runner to run about, unaware of the pain.

This is not to say that you should ignore some shooting pain in the knees or the arches just because you run with music. However, if you find yourself in a place where you need a little "boost" I dont see any shame in doing whatever you have to do to get there.

A little long, but yesterday's run was the best I'd had in ages, and I found new success with an old friend.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I really use music on my runs. For me, it can make or break the run sometimes. I usually get the most excited to hit the pavement when I have a fresh new playlist on my ipod!

I am reminded on those days when the music isn't great, or when my ipod craps out, just how tough the mental battle can be :)

Christine said...

I had the same opinion on running with music, then I bought an mp3 and I "changed my tune." While I still prefer running without, I love how running with music really picks me up on the parts of my run where I need it. It's like when I watch a movie and think what my life would be like with a soundtrack!

pika said...

You know I love my music and I love the DJ Steveboy mixes (http://www.djsteveboy.com/podrunner.html) when I run. Lately I've gone back to music and how sometimes the lyrics grab me at times when I need that kick or I start thinking things through.

But we all find what works for us in the end - tunes or not. Today tunes work for you, tomorrow they may not.