Thursday, April 12, 2007

Starting Over After 9 months

This morning I went out for a short, foggy run. Once again, my mind was overpowering, and despite running 35 miles last week with no problems whatsoever, this week has been totally different. I haven't been in sync with my body at all, and I'm doing far too much walking.

I can literally feel my mind telling my body to stop, even when I probably don't need to. Since I am not competitive in my running, and do it for pure enjoyment, I am going to have to practically start all over again. I know what you're thinking. Don't be a wussy, just keep going? Well, I would agree with you in theory. However, a wise man once said "know thyself"."
If there is one person I know very well, it is myself. Once I get into something, I have a tendency to drop it completely if I overindulge.

I had been running at least 6-8 miles a run every other day and loving it, I think I'm going to have to start with 5k's again for a while, maybe going as far back as 15 mpw.

Running for me is supposed to be fun, and perhaps that many miles was a high point before a plateau. So I'm going to try some shorter runs with short term goals, all in the interest of sticking with it. I know I'm fit, and I'm proud of my prior accomplishments, but if I keep going on this track I know I'll suffer for it even more so.

Your comments and advice are much appreciated!

4 comments:

pika said...

Chance, you know you're in my prayers right now.

As far as starting over goes, I totally understand. Keep this one thing in mind though: everytime you start, you're starting from a point far forward of where you originally began. Remember when you first did the "let's run 5k every day" realization? Then it was 10k.

Amid the starts and stops, you keep doing something important: starting. As they say, success is falling down 9 times but getting up 10 times.

I have faith in you.

RunninRobin said...

hey just wanted to say great job on getting back out there running. I am so sorry about what happened at the runnersworld forums, we all miss you and hope you can get back on there soon.

You are a terrific runner and an inspiration. Keep it up!

JOJIT said...

I believe part of life and running is stumbling and falling only to get up a stronger person and runner.

I can relate to what you're going through because since my knee injury ealier this month I had to slow down and now that my knee is well, I feel like starting over again. Anyways, hope everything goes well with you as you start back up again.

Pat said...

Chance, today is a good day to run a few miles.

Pat